This is how we ended up in Oregon last week for a family vacation.
“So what do you guys want to do this summer? Where do you want to go?” Asks the mom that doesn’t have much planned, other than a UBC science camp.
“I want to go up North. Or to Alberta!” Says the child who wants to search for fossils.
“I want to go where there’s snow!” Says the child with allergies.
My husband and I look at each other. “Well, it’s going to be hard to go somewhere that has snow in summer. As for Alberta, we are going there in September for a wedding.”
“How about Oregon?” Says the husband who doesn’t want going up North as our only option.
“Can we go to the beach again?” Asks the excited kids!
“I want to spend some time in Portland then.” Says the mom who wants to stop at Modern Domestic, Collage and Powell’s Books again.
Everybody is happy!
It’s been two years since I set foot in Modern Domestic. It’s been far, far too long! When I was there, I ran into Meredith (she works there). We met attending a Denyse Schmidt workshop last time I was in town. It was great catching up… she just got married! As for our blocks we made at the workshop, neither of them are quilts. Yet! Soon though, I’ve got something percolating and it sounds like so does Meredith.
At Modern Domestic I stood in front of the entire, yes! entire! (minus one bolt that’s already sold out) Cotton and Steel collection! Meredith was saying they bought the whole collection site unseen! And it’s pretty brilliant!
Yup, everybody was happy, especially me with my little mini pencils (splurge), mini mason jars (splurge), book (splurge) and my fabric (splurge)!
This little zippy pouch (8 1/2″ x 6″) is going to the Victoria Modern Quilt Guild. It’s chalked full of goodies : zippers, bakers twine, fabric, fancy scissors, a note pad, some pencils and some pens. Oh ya, and a few of my cards. I hope my swap partner likes it!
UPDATE: And she did, Margo left me a very sweet message on Facebook during my Four day giveaway last week. I’m so glad it went to a good home. These things are like giving away kittens for me!
Why a cassette you ask? Being a child of the 80′s, scratch that, growing up in the 80′s, who doesn’t have a sweet spot for them. I thought I had a paper piecing pattern for a cassette tucked away in my studio but nope, I couldn’t find it anywhere so, I made my own pattern. Which I find so fun to do!
This past September our guild had its 3rd anniversary and instead of bunting we did banners of charm packs sewn together. The white texty fabric was on that banner as well as the black I used by the zipper.
I love how the A1 lined up!
I don’t often do fabric swaps at our guild. I’m not sure why, I’m always pleased with what I end up with. Add it to the to do list!
UPDATE: Ta Da! My lovely orange ( I LOVE orange!) zippy pouch I received from Michele! Loaded full of goodies. I think I got spoiled, tee hee! Thank you , thank you!
Wow what a week! I didn’t know what to expect but this giveaway thing went WAY better than I ever imagined! What fun it’s been reading everyone’s comments, you guys have the most interesting and funny stories! In my best Elvis impersonation, “thank you, thank you very much…” for popping by and playing. You are all winners in my book!
Now to end the suspense. I went old school and placed everyone’s entry into a jar and pulled out four names.
The winners ARE….
From day one, winning the match book needle book- Berene from Happy Sew Lucky ! Yay!
From day two, winning the cards – Linda from Chirp! Yay!
From day three, winning the fabric – Gill! Yay!
And last but not least, from day four winning the drawing… Cindy from Live a Colorful Life! Yay!
Thanks again everyone, it was lovely to meet you all!
This has been an amazing four days! I’m happily overwhelmed by the response I’ve gotten this week! It went well beyond my expectations. So thank you, thank you everyone for taking the time to visit my blog, it makes my heart swell!… And speaking of hearts! Here is today’s giveaway!
A 10″x 10″ drawing of Cynthia Frenette’s fabric from her Spoonflower collection. She now designs for Robert Kaufman! Yup, I can proudly say I knew her when. It seems appropriate to end today with this drawing, since this whole giveaway thing was to celebrate my newly designed site that Cynthia and her husband Norm (Green Couch Designs) did for me. I’m also including a calendar with the drawing. You can decide if you want to keep the drawing as is, or use it as a calendar (I use magnets to hold up the calendar pages). The other option is to use it as a bulletin board. Your choice!
Okay on to the nitty gritty! Same rules as yesterday but a new question to answer. Scratch that, sentence to finish.
1) Please finish this sentence, ” I heart…” Maybe you Heart NY, like on the T-shirts or perhaps you heart Alberta Beef, like the bumper stickers. Really there is no wrong answer. For example, I heart YOU! Aw…but I really do! I’m so glad you popped by and we got a chance to chat.
2) Now remember you can have more than one chance to win! In your comment just let me know how you follow me. Are you subscribed to my site, or do you follow me on Bloglovin? Perhaps you’ve liked my Facebook page, or I know you from Instagram, or Twitter, or Flickr or maybe Pinterest? A few people have told me they follow on Feedly, which I had never heard of but still counts! Any or all will work! You’ll be entered for each way you follow. How’s that for snazzy! Oh and, international entries are totally welcome!
3) Check back tomorrow, Saturday July 12th! The winner of each day (you can only win once) will be announced. The prizes will be mailed out the following Monday July 14th.
Good luck, I hope you win!
Wow you guys! You have the best answers and the best stories. I love reading comments, what blogger doesn’t, but I’e never giggled so much while doing so or really laughed out loud! No little lol’s here!
Okay onto today’s giveaway and it’s brought to you by Warp & Weft ! Thank you Esmari! She generously donated these lovely gems for some lucky duck to win! You might recognize this fabric line, Bluebird Park by Kate and Birdie for Moda. I drew it for June’s Calendar and it includes Bicycles, Birds, Hedgehogs, Peach Magnolias, Fountain Magnolias, Rabbits and City Park .
Here’s how to enter: same rules as yesterday but a new question to answer by leaving me a comment.
1) It’s summer and with summer comes outside concerts. What was the best outside concert you ever seen? And if anything weird happened while at one of these concerts please share.
Every concert we’ve ever seen at Deer Lake Park has been fantastic! We’ve seen The White Stripes on their final tour, it was a very short show (I think Meg was done by that point) but it was still fantastic. We’ve seen The Black Keys there (and bought the most awesome gig poster!) and just this fall we saw The Lumineers! The keyboard player was out in the crowd just hanging around watching the opening acts. We recognized him when he was up on stage. However I think the weirdest thing we ever saw was back in the 90′s in Cloverdale at Lollapaloosa, we saw a couple, she did have a long skirt on but yeah, they were doing it right out in the open. They had their eyes closed so I guess they thought no one could see them!
2) Remember you have more than one chance to win! In your comment just let me know how you follow me. Are you subscribed to my site, or do you follow me on Bloglovin? Perhaps you’ve liked my Facebook page, or I know you from Instagram, or Twitter, or Flickr or maybe Pinterest? Any or all will work! You’ll be entered for each way you follow. How’s that for snazzy!
3) Check back Tomorrow for the Grand Finale! Same rules apply but there will be a different question tomorrow (I can’t tell you what the giveaway will be yet, shhhh… it will be a surprise!). A different winner will be randomly drawn for each day (you can only win once). The winners will all be announced on Saturday July 12, 2014. The prizes will be mailed out the following Monday. International entries are totally welcome!